Thick toenails are a sign of the underlying medical condition.
It may indicate a fungus or yeast infection.
If ignored, the situation might become painful.
It might take a long time to cure the problem.
Their are treatments available that can take on the infection.
They are certain home remedies which would be very effective in relieving discomfort.
Symptoms of Thick Toenails
Commonly associated symptoms include.
- Change in color of the toenail to yellow, green or black
- Foul-smelling odor emitting from the nail.
- Cracked or disjointed surface
- Pain and discomfort in the area.
- A lifted toenail from the bed
- Dirt and debris under the nail.
Cause & Facts about Thick Toenails
Nearly 1 in 5 of the adult population suffers from the disease.
According to View Remedy the condition occurs when the fungus or yeast enters the area where your toenail and nail bed meet.
Or when there is a cut in the skin very near the toenail.
Initially, the infection is modest, but gradually, it leads to the thickening of the nail.
Wet toes are very susceptible to the infection.
Hence you may catch the infection if you move barefoot in areas such as swimming pools, shower areas.
Some Other Causes of thick toenails
Here are a few other probable causes.
- Smoking( Reduces overall immunity)
- Any medication that suppresses the immune system.
- Athlete’s foot
- Prolonged exposure to water
- Sweaty feet and shoes
Certain medical conditions predispose your foot to the affliction. In these cases, immediate medical treatment becomes a necessity.
- If you are suffering from Diabetes type 1 or Diabetes type 2, typically wound take a longer time for diabetic patients to heal, if wounds are left untreated, they can cause extremely serious damage.
- Problems with the circulatory system weakens bodies defense mechanism. Hence susceptibility to disease increases proportionally.
- Skin disease such as psoriasis. It speeds up the life cycle of the cell.
- Treatment of cancer, as it often reduces overall bodily immunity, Patients are susceptible to the attack of pathogens.
- Individuals who have Aids/ HIV virus.