Many people are getting into cooking during this coronavirus lockdown period and since they have more time on their hands and restaurants are closed.
Cooking is also one of the fun activities to do with kids.
It’s wise to also get him involved as a positive distraction, especially if he loves it and never had time.
Chakalaka & Pasta
- 750 ml (3 C) uncooked fusilli pasta
- 1 x 400 g can Chakalaka Mild & Spicy
- 1 x 410 g can Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce
- 65 ml (¼ C) mayonnaise
- 30 ml (2 T) chopped parsley
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and cook the pasta until tender.
- Drain and cool.
- Pour the pasta into a large bowl.
- Add Chakalaka Mild & Spicy.
- Add Baked Beans.
- Add the mayonnaise.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the top of the salad.
- Chill until serving.
CREAMY BEEF AND SHELLS
- 8 ounces medium pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, about 1 1/2 cups
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground beef and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; drain excess fat. Set aside.
- Add onion to the skillet, and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in beef stock and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced and slightly thickened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in pasta, beef and heavy cream until heated through, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in cheese until melted, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Leftover Roast Chicken and Bacon Pasta
Large Frying Pan & Wooden Spoon
Large Pot & Colander
Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Fine Cheese Grater
Ingredients (check list):
- 7oz / 200g Penne Pasta (or pasta of choice)
- 4 rashers Streaky Bacon
- 1 small Onion, finely diced
- 1 clove Garlic, finely diced
- 1 cup / 150g Leftover Chicken, sliced
- 1/2 cup / 125ml Double/Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup / 60ml Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup / 60ml Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1/4 cup / 20g Parmesan, plus extra to serve
- pinch of Chilli Flakes (optional)
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil
Pop 7oz/200g pasta in salted boiling water and cook until al dente. Retain a cup of pasta water just before draining.
Meanwhile, fry 4 diced rashers of bacon in a drizzle of olive oil until it just begins to crisp, then add 1 small finely diced onion. Fry until the onion begins to soften, then add 1 finely diced garlic and fry for a minute or so longer.
Add 1cup/150g leftover chicken just to heat it through, then add 1/4cup/60ml sour cream, 1/2cup/125ml double/heavy cream, 1/4cup/60ml sweet chilli sauce, chilli flakes and seasoning to taste.
Drain and stir through your pasta, then add 1/4cup/20g parmesan and give it a final stir. Thin out with pasta water as needed. Serve with an extra helping of parmesan and chilli flakes.