The family of an automobile mechanic, Adeboye Adenitan, who died from burns incurred in a gas explosion, is pleading with the National Orthopedic Hospital, Lagos, to release their son’s corpse.
The family’s plea came on the heels of their inability to offset a N10m bill it owes the hospital for the treatment of late Adeboye.
The deceased’s mother, Bose, said Adeboye died on April 7 in the hospital days after suffering burns in a gas explosion while cooking in his house.
She said, “The hospital management has refused to release my son’s corpse since then because we’ve not been able to pay the outstanding bill. I’m pleading with the hospital to be compassionate and release his corpse. We have spent all our savings on his treatment.”
Public Relations Officer of the hospital, Ayo Adenike, was quoted by The Punch thus:qqqq “From our records, they made an initial deposit of N500,000, out of which our medical social services assisted them in raising the sum of N400,000; so, they only paid N100,000 into the hospital’s account as a family. They owed the hospital the sum of N1,577,945.”
Adenike said that the hospital had not release the corpse because the family still owed.