After several delays to the start of the case, a senior official in the provincial treasury in South Africa is expected back in court next month for the alleged rape of a 7-year-old boy.
The suspect was arrested in January last year, and despite appearing in court 13 times, has still not pleaded.
People are amazed that he is also still working in the public office but David Savage, head of the provincial treasury, hinted they “will continue to monitor the case”.
Savage also said the government is aware of the serious allegation against one of their employees and have referred the matter to the People Management Practices’ directorate.
He disclosed that the employee has not been suspended as the case is still due to come before the courts.
In his words: “We will continue to monitor the case and will be guided by the court’s verdict and relevant labour legislation accordingly”.
National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila said the delays in the case were as a result of requests by the accused’s legal counsel.
“Ntabazalila said the NPA can confirm that the matter has been postponed several times, mostly at the request of the defence, which
included instances of failed representations to the senior public prosecutor and the director of public prosecutions and him changing legal representatives.
He stated further that: “No trial date can be arranged if the legal representative who will represent the accused has not been appointed yet to discuss the date”.
Police spokesperson, Andrè Traut said the suspect was out on bail and that his can confirm that the rape case is under investigation by the Kuilsrivier FCS.
He went further to state that the suspect was arrested and charged, and was released on bail by the court”.
Community Safety MEC, Albert Fritz earlier this month announced that advocate Leslie Morris would monitor gender-based violence and domestic violence cases within the Court Watching Briefs Unit.
The unit is monitors cases currently before the court for any inefficiencies. These include where they are struck off the court roll due to inefficiencies. Such matter is raised to the attention of the provincial commissioner to ensure that the necessary remedial action is taken.
Fritz’s office maintained that: “The Court Watching Briefs Unit has been requested to monitor this case.”
The accused is expected in the Blue Downs Regional Court on August 31.